Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Macadamia Nut~Pesto (healthy update)

Macadamia Nut~Pesto (healthy update)

My healthy twist on an old favorite dish!




Greetings! It has been awhile since I have posted; life has been happening! I'm so excited to be back and want to share this delightfully delicious dish that I just today updated to a healthier version. I was introduced to the original recipe http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/macadamia-nut-pesto-fettuccine by a friend I met in a college class, back in my UMA days (before transferring to USM). 

I found myself having some extra time to peruse my collection of recipes this morning. I was craving something creamy and garden fresh, so the word pesto caught my attention. My herb garden is abundant this season and what says summer like freshly picked basil from the garden?

Due to my over indulgence in dairy the past month, I am feeling blah. I know better, and also know it is time to get back on track and follow more of an anti-inflammatory diet. Time to challenge myself by remaking a favorite dish to something that won't cause as much bloating, etc. 

And here is what I came up with!

I substituted the white flour fettuccine for Red Lentil Spaghetti (gluten free, therefore anti-inflammatory) and the half and half for Hemp Milk unsweetened. While I still used the parmesan cheese, the reduced dairy is a big help! And, for me, it is easier to digest the parm cheese vs the half and half. 


 


There is some serious creaminess going on in this twist! I LOVE the enhanced flavor the change of pasta provides for.

Go ahead and give the recipe a try. See how you can twist it up to suit your taste! 

*I did not use as much basil as it calls for as I prefer a lighter basil flavor. The lentil/brown rice spaghetti is a bit sticker than regular pasta so use oil of your choice while cooking it and then lightly coat before mixing it into the pesto.  

Share your ideas with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment