Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Chaga Tea

Chaga Tea


Medicinal nourishment!


I was introduced to the  Chaga mushroom by David Wolfe, author of "Chaga, King of the Medicinal Mushrooms" https://www.davidwolfe.com/752/ in a lecture during my Integrative Nutrition Health coaching program. Since then, I have researched and explored more about Chaga on my own. I simply love chaga tea. And most who know me, know I am all about tea! 

The Chaga mushroom can be used in many ways: oil/extract, tincture,  powder, chunked, etc. I first tried the powder form in smoothies but learned that my favorite is chunk form for tea (no surprise there!). 

I've been making tea from the herbs and flowers I grow for years. I have a special tea garden that seems to expand with each passing year. Not only have I grown into a "fresh tea snob," but I aspire to utilize my teas in a holistic manner. I value the health benefits of herbal teas. So the "fresh tea snob" thing I developed after tasting freshly made tea straight from my garden to teapot. Once you get a taste of how lovely freshly made tea is, you will notice the difference in store bought tea bags and loose leaf teas that are prepared/packaged. I do dry my herbs and dehydrate my own grown fruits and berries for winter storage of tea but by spring I'm not liking the loss of flavor that naturally happens.

I digress-let's get back to the health benefits of tea, shall we? The Chaga. It is no coincidence that Mr. Wolfe coined Chaga "King of the Medicinal Mushrooms." The health benefits are undeniably worth exploring the many ways to enjoy chaga. It has been said that chaga is one of  the only known food sources that can help eliminate radiation from the body. The documented researched benefits of Chaga are:
  • Anthelmintic
  • Antibacterial
  • Antihypoxant
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Antimalarial
  • Antimutagenic
  • Antioxidant
  • Antiseptic
  • Antitumor
  • Antipyretic
  • Antiviral
  • Bile-expelling
  • Immunomodulatory
  • Infection-fighting
  • Skin-protective
You can find Chaga high up on older White Birch trees in cold climates. It is most abundant along the edge of water; rivers, streams, and ponds. I encourage you to look around for some mushroom farms and/or ask a trail guide for suggestions as to where you might find some Chaga and go harvest your own-it is fun! And, it is great to get out and hike, is it not?

Here is a basic recipe I use to make my Chaga Tea:

Ingredients: 

4-5 chunks of chaga
2 Liters of filtered water


Instructions:

Bring the filtered water to a boil, remove from heat source to stop the boiling; bring down the temperature. Add the chunks of Chaga and simmering (barely) for one to four hours, depending on the strength of flavor you prefer. It is very important not to boil the Chaga as you will lose some of the health benefits. Just a slight simmer to warming is what you are striving for. Remove chunks/strain and pour in to storage container of choice.  Enjoy a fresh cup warm and store the rest in the refrigerator for up to a week. Remember to gently warm it-do not bring it to a boil for your next cup. Or, enjoy cold on a hot day! 

The basic tea has a light earthy/chocolate flavor. There are so many different recipes for the tea, so browse the internet and find something that you like. Since I live in Maine and like to promote  local foods I sometimes add blueberries to my tea. I will let the tea steep for an hour then add fresh blueberries, simmering/steeping for about 30 more minutes. Or,  in the winter time, I will place some dehydrated berries in my tea ball and steep in cup. I have most recently explored simmering a few peeled, cut in quarters, and seeded apples along with mulling spices of orange peels, lemon peels, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, all spice, ainsie star. Chai spices also work great! 











I have developed a few resources for Chaga. I only purchase and consume Chaga harvested here in Maine. When and if I receive permission to share my resource contacts, I will update this post with their info. I encourage you to try Chaga tea! Your health deserves you to nourish it!

Share your favorite Chaga Tea recipes with us! 








No comments:

Post a Comment