Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Oh, Those Edible Flowers!




It is nearing the end of July and my gardens are brightly blooming with flowers, happily swaying in the warm summer breeze. On this perfect Maine summer day, I was reminded of my gardening intention for this season-edible flowers! (It has been many years since I've focused in this area.)

 I was inspired to get back into this practice by a young woman my son loves. After spending a spring afternoon together, painting a palate for garden decor, she inquired about a few of the flowers in the tea garden. I explained that I use Calendula for tea and to infuse in oil for making balms, soaps, etc, but that you could also eat it in a salad. We talked about the different kinds of flowers that you could eat and from that moment I felt that tingle to grow a variety to show her how pretty and healthy an edible flower salad could be. 

                                                                              


After the dew had dried off, I grabbed my basket and harvested Bee Balm, Calendula, Lemon Balm, and Nasturtium. Cleaning off the flowers and removing unwanted parts, I tossed together a beautiful salad.

                                                                             

                                                                                
                                                                          



Recipe:

1 cup of Nasturtium leaves, sliced into ribbons
1 handful Nasturtium flowers
2 large Bee Balm flowers (use petals)
2 small Calendula flowers (use petals)
1 large sprig Lemon Balm, slice leaves into ribbons

* I used Fiore's Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar for dressing.
The Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar  enhances the sweetness of the Lemon Balm, pairing well with the peppery flavor of the Nasturtium. The mild floral undertone of the Calendula and Bee Balm brings the stunning visual and flavors all together!


Nasturtiums are rich in vitamin C,  have strong antibiotic and antimicrobial properties. Fiona McKay noted in her blog "They are naturally antibiotic and the leaves, if eaten one per hour, at the onset of a sore throat, can drastically reduce the severity of the infection."

I would like to thank my source of inspiration for bringing me back to this! I hope this can inspire others to experiment with different types of edible flowers and grow, grow, grow your way into wellness!

No comments:

Post a Comment