Wednesday, March 16, 2016

St. Patrick's Day Shake

St. Patrick's Day Shake


Healthy twist on a Shamrock Shake!


Once again I am delighted to share a recipe that was shared with me by my daughter, Chelsea!
In my previous post, I explained that Chel had sent me a note with some recipes. Well, this is the other recipe on that adorable little postcard note. And it came just in time to experiment with different alternative recipe twists. 

The alternative recipe experiment was sparked by Chel asking for an alternative to the sweetened condensed milk. There are many people who are not able to consume dairy so I hope the recipe below is helpful to those who are lactose intolerant or are just trying to reduce dairy intake for personal reasons. I also hope it inspires others to experiment and create own recipes!

I am excited to celebrate St. Patty's Day starting with a morning shake!

The original recipe:

    *1 Can condensed milk
    *1 Avocado, peeled and seed removed
    * 2.5 or 3 tablespoons pure raw honey
    *1 cup ice
    * 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    * 1 drop Young Living Peppermint Oil 

Recipe by Young Living


My favored alternative recipe:

    *1 cup sweetened almond milk
    * 2 tablespoons tapioca flour mixed with 1/4 cup almond milk 
    *1 avocado, peeled, seed removed
    * 3 tablespoons raw honey
    * 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    * 2-3 drops of essential peppermint oil (I used Young Living brand as I prefer the way the process their oils)

Mix the tapioca mixture in with the cup of almond milk, add other ingredients and blend until desired. 

I did not use ice because the milk was cold and thin, unlike shelved canned condensed milk. I added the tapioca flour mixed with almond milk to thicken the shake. I experimented with arrowroot flour but it was a bit on the slimy side. Also, tapioca is a bit sweeter than arrowroot. I also found that just one drop of the peppermint was not strong enough. If you prefer things on the sweeter side, I suggest you add a just a pinch of stevia. I prefer not too sweet.





I love how the tapioca flour thickens this! As you can see from the picture, it is so thick the straw stands straight up! You can experiment with how thick you prefer by reducing amount of tapioca flour or just adding ice. Try using different nut milks or rice milk for different flavor effects. I bet cashew milk would be delicious! 

Share your favorite twist on this recipe with us! Post pictures of  you enjoying your St. Patty's Day shake with us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment